Arthritis refers to the inflammation of one or more joints. This causes pain and stiffness in the joints that can worsen with age. While medications provide temporary relief from arthritis pain, chiropractic care can help naturally alleviate your symptoms for long-term wellness. If you are suffering from arthritis, our team at Meek Integrative Health Center in Springfield is ready to help.
Common Types of Arthritis
Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are two common types of arthritis. They cause damage to the joints in different ways. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis and consists of wear and tear damage to the cartilage of a joint. The wear and tear to the joints can happen over the course of several years or can occur due to an infection or injury to the joint. Changes and deterioration within the bones can take place. When joints are severely damaged, the lining of the joint will be swollen and inflamed. With rheumatoid arthritis, the lining of the joint capsule is attacked by the body’s immune system. The lining can become swollen and inflamed. As the disease progresses, cartilage and bone within the joint can become destroyed.
Common symptoms of arthritis include:
- • Stiff or swollen joints
- • Tenderness
- • Redness
- • Reduction in range of motion
These symptoms can be mild to severe, depending on the type of arthritis you’re experiencing.
Common Causes of Arthritis
Sometimes, it is difficult to pinpoint a specific cause for arthritis. However, certain factors can increase your odds of suffering from this condition, including:
- Age- your joints tend to wear out with age.
- Genes- specific genes can be responsible for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.
- Gender- females are more likely to get arthritis than men.
- Injuries- certain injuries can result in damaging the joints and causing some type of arthritis.
- Infection- infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or fungi can cause swelling of the joints.
- Work- if you use your knees frequently at work, you can get a form of arthritis called osteoarthritis.
- Excess weight- excess weight can weaken your joints, especially in your knees, triggering arthritis.
Different chiropractic methods can be employed depending on your specific needs as well as the type of arthritis you have. Once our thorough assessment is complete, our chiropractors will create a treatment plan personalized for your unique needs. We often use manual manipulation to help reduce inflammation and improve joint mobility. Our chiropractors may also teach you certain exercises to stretch your joints and help improve your range of motion. Physical therapy can help ease chronic pain and manage the symptoms of your arthritis.
Visit Us for Arthritis Treatment in Springfield, MO
Our team at Meek Integrative Health Center in Springfield is dedicated to helping our patients live healthy and pain-free lives. So, whether your arthritis is acute or chronic, our chiropractors will help you find the natural relief you need. To schedule your first consultation or to learn more about the various chiropractic services we offer, contact us today.
Come and see us today!