Knee Pain Treatment
Acute or chronic knee pain should be treated right away by our certified chiropractor at Meek Integrative Health Center, in Springfield MO. Doing so can prevent pain and knee dysfunction from limiting your ability to perform normal daily functions. We offer natural chiropractic manipulations and therapies to relieve the pain and rehabilitate the injured joints, bones, and connective tissue.
The Knee Structure
Weight-bearing and leg activities, e.g., walking, running, bending, and stair climbing require using the knee. The knee is a stable but flexible joint consisting of the knee cap (patella), thighbone, and shinbone that meet to form the knee joint. There are also connective tissues—tendons, ligaments, and cartilages. Mild, severe, or excruciating pain can occur if any of these bones and tissues gets injured.
Common Causes of Knee Pain
Knee injuries or inflammatory joint conditions from a fall, sports activities, being overweight and aging are among the common reasons for pain. Some are as follows:
- Repetitive use or overuse
- A direct blow to the knee
- Not wearing the right footwear
- Torn cartilage (meniscal tears)
- Muscle strains or ligament sprains
- Knee cap dislocation or fracture
- Knee tendinitis (Runner's knee)
- Gout, osteoarthritis, or bursitis (inflammation)
- Iliotibial band syndrome
Knee Injury Pain Symptoms
Patients often complain of a sharp or dull throbbing pain inside or around the knee cap. The pain may worsen, e.g., when kneeling or rising from a chair. Other symptoms include:
- Knee stiffness
- Swelling and tenderness (inflammation)
- Grinding sensation in the knee
- Unable to walk or raise the leg
- Knee instability or buckling
Knee Pain Treatment Offered by Our Springfield Chiropractor
Once our chiropractor diagnoses your pain, a personalized chiropractic care plan is then tailored to address the root cause of the pain. Our non-invasive, drug-free treatment options could include.
- Joint Manipulation: Chiropractic manipulation of the knee helps to realign the knee joints and mobilize the connective tissue. This relieves pain, reduces inflammation, and improves range of motion. Knee joint manipulation can help to prevent invasive knee surgery.
- Kinesio Taping: A special stretchy tape is applied to the affected area. Kinesio taping relieves pain and inflammation and aids healing by gently pulling the skin to take the pressure off the soft tissue.
- Knee Rehabilitation: Special exercises and stretches are done to stabilize and strengthen the knee joint, relieve joint restrictions, and prevent reinjures.
- Massage Therapy: Massage techniques such as the Active Release Technique (ART) is effective in relaxing stiff muscles and accelerating healing of the connective tissues.
Schedule An Appointment Today!
Pain management at Meek Integrative Health Center is provided to patients in Springfield MO and surrounding areas. Our patients include young active individuals, professional athletes, and seniors who are prone to knee injury and pain. Get lasting pain relief and stay active by calling (417) 887-0340 to book a consultation today.