Meek Integrative Health Center - Lifestyle Sleep Health
Sleep in an extremely important part of human health. Negative effects of sleep delays or interruptions include sluggishness, low attention span, decreased sociability, depressed mood, decreased deep sleep, decreased caloric burn during the day, increased hunger and decreased feeling of fullness, insulin resistance and decreased performance.
Infants 4 months to 12 months: 12 to 16 hours per 24 hours
Children 1 to 2 years of age: 11 to 14 hours per 24 hours (including naps)
Children 3 to 5 years of age: 10 to 13 hours per 24 hours (including naps)
Children 6 to 12 years of age: 9 to 12 hours per 24 hours
Teenagers 13 to 18 years of age: 8 to 10 hours per 24 hours
Adults: 7 to 9 hours of sleep per 24 hours
- Too much food or drink close to sleep time
- Blue light from phone/computer/television screen
- Caffeine and alcohol use
- Certain noises/sounds
- Temperature (too hot or too cold)
- Lack of daytime sunlight exposure
- Medications and medical conditions
- Bed partner and/or pets
Tips for Better Sleep
- Use bed for sleep only
- Establish regular sleep schedule (same sleep and wake times)
- Minimize/eliminate bedroom noise and lights
- Increase daytime exposure to sunlight
- Move at least every hour during the day
- Eliminate nighttime caffeine and limit daytime caffeine
- Avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime
- Eliminate/limit after-dinner and late-night snacking
- Maintain a healthy BMI
- Stay hydrated during the day
- Use Cognitive behavioral therapy for treatment of insomnia
- Increase exercise to 150 minutes of moderate intensity per week
- Include more whole food plant-based dietary choices
- Increase meditation techniques
Sleep Management Goals
Setting goals around sleep health is a great way to increase your sleep quality. It's often easier to achieve positive goals. An example of a positive sleep goal is "I will begin a new bedtime routine of shutting off the television and instead, reading a book for at least 30 minutes before bed, four nights this week."
Specific-What are you going to do to improve your sleep quality/quantity?
Measurable-How much time, how many sessions?
Attainable-Do you have what it takes to follow through?
Realistic-What can you actually do? (know your limits, start small, build)
Time-Connected-How frequent or how long will you do the activity?
Achieving Your Best Located in Springfield MO
Reach out to our friendly team and begin your journey to better health with Meek Integrative Health Center!